Tom Bishop, P.E.
EASA Senior Technical Support Specialist
Occasionally an end user wants to take a motor designed for horizontal mounting and use it in a vertical position. This article addresses some of the key mechanical factors that should be considered when applying a horizontal ball-bearing motor in a vertical mounting position.
These key factors include:
- Axial thrust load capacity of bearing supporting rotor weight
- Rotor weight
- Weight of output shaft attachments
- Axial thrust from direct-connected driven equipment\
- Bearing lubrication paths
- Bearing lubricant retention
- Shaft up or shaft down orientation
- Ingress protection
- Locking axial thrust bearing
READ THE FULL ARTICLE